Recognising that many European countries do not offer any specialised training in the support and representation of children in the legal system, the Paris Bar Association (Barreau de Paris), in an initiative led by its Vice-President Dominique Attias, submitted an application in response to a European Commission call for proposals, putting forward a project for the implementation of specific training on this subject to be given to lawyers in the European Union.
The longer-term goal is the creation of a European network of children's lawyers.
In order to succeed in its application and implement this project, the Paris Bar Association has secured the support of six partners:
The Paris Bar Association has secured the support of six partners that have agreed to participate in the project:
- The European Lawyers Foundation;
- The Spanish Bar Association Consejo General de la Abogacia Espanola (CGAE);
- The Athens Bar Association (ΔΙΚΗΓΟΡΙΚΟΣ ΣΥ ΛΛΟΓΟΣ ΑΘΗΝΩΝ);
- The Law Society of Ireland (LSI);
- The Cyprus Bar Association (Παγκύπριος Δικηγορικός Σύλλογος);
- The Krakow Bar Association (Krajowa Rada Radców Prawnych (KRRP)).
TRACHILD has the objective of training 30 lawyers per partner bar association in the representation of minors in criminal, administrative and civil proceedings. That is a total of 180 lawyers. The support and representation of children by lawyers in judicial proceedings which affect them must be efficient. In order to achieve this, the lawyers must have received effective specialised training.